Thursday, July 2, 2009

Action Jackson

Nearly every place I have been in the West Bank a common theme has persisted. Activists who give lectures talk about how they persevere despite lack of progress. Locals talk about how the window for change is very small before the hope of the Palestinian completely runs out.  This situation is becoming increasingly difficult to see. Especially considering the hardships faced by people with whom I am developing a personal connection. Hope in Christ is the bottom line answer because He is not situational.

For us, who have already found that hope, the question is, “How can we best love Palestinians?” Doesn’t it have to involve helping to change the situation they have lived under for more than 60 yrs?

            So, how can change happen? Where does progress come from? It appears that regardless of the approach taken by Palestinians nothing can change on the ground without outside intervention. Israel will continue to exploit and enact restrictions designed to cleanse the area of Palestinians as long as they are able. Some will say that this land has always seen severe conflict and there is no potential for peace. It is easy for one to dismiss the issues by making these simplistic and inaccurate claims. If this statement is addressing modern day Israel and the OPT specifically then there are many historical examples of the people in this area living in peace, in fact it’s the rule and not the exception.

            I honestly am still wrestling with the approach I would like to take in regards to Palestine. I am very confident that the only worldly power that can change what is happening here is the American government. Some people are boycotting Israeli products, others are lobbying, and still others are attempting to change the perspective of their friends and family. I have it on very good account that the documentary Occupation 101 is an accurate description of the situation on the ground in Palestine and I think this is a very logical starting point for my friends and family. So, check it out. Tell me your thoughts after you see it.

            Since blogging last I have began to fall into a routine. I wake up in the morning to eggs, pita, hummus, jam, and zakkar. Then I walk to the bus stop and take a bus to Bethlehem Bible College where I volunteer until lunch. After lunch I have either Arabic class or a lecture on comparative religions. Then, in the night, we have different optional group activities, most of which I choose not to take part in because I prefer to spend the night with my host family.

            Comment on my blog, send me a facebook message, or email me at taylor.228@wright.edu, I would love to hear what everyone is thinking.

JT

2 comments:

  1. I want to write a lot, but we're leaving for Canada tomorrow, I have packed little, and and I'm very tired. Keep writing stuff like this. It's good for me to read and good for you to express. You said you want to know what those who read this think. I've told you that I feel like I know so little , and this hasn't changed. Still, I have thoughts. I'm just throwing naked and probably terribly unsatisfactory thoughts. You ask how change can happen, you ask how we can see progress in the region. Even from my uninformed position, I see that these are simple questions with incredibly complex answers and undiscovered solutions. However, that shouldn't be used as an excuse to throw our hands up, or just continue waving the flag of our favorite side from the bleachers of the United States. After reading your blog, here was my immediate thought: the solution is not in pointing fingers. Yes, though the answers are complex, and a solution seemingly impossible, answers should be sought, and solutions should be pursued tirelessly. But, I feel that the solution is not in saying: it is you Palestine, it is you who bring this treatment through your rocket fire and attacks on our civilians. The solution is not in saying: it is you Israel, with your bullying military and horribly inhumane blockade. As long as we try to figure out whose fault it is, will there be progress? Why? So we can say, hey, United States, see, it IS Israel's fault! See, Barak, Palestine is the one that must be checked! I mean maybe. I may be idealistic and pacifistic when I say this, but, again, we need to turn to the future, the kids. Maybe that only raises the same questions again. I'm not really sure. When I say turn to the kids, I don't just mean generic education, I mean really really teach them by showing them the benefits of love rather than telling them of the horrors of the other side. Sure, this can happen in class, but more importantly, in the home. This takes incredibly strong families with a clear picture of how the future will change. Not with Barak Obama, not with Hamas, with the families, with the kids. Maybe Israel is more at fault. Maybe Palestine is. Maybe there are a lot of holes in my logic. I don't know. I would say also, be ok with not knowing right now. Keep spending time with your family, and keep writing, I'm going to Canada, wishing you and your Father Taylor were there, be back Tuesday. Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think the solution comes in pointing fingers no, but it does come with the appropriate parties taking responsibility for their actions. including the PA, the israeli government, the US government (and their daily 7 million dollar contribution), the international community. i think education, or re-education is an excellent method but without changing the environment that both sides grow up on there is little hope for that. i think it has to start with some level of accountability on the international level. a government just cant do what they are doing, they cant, individuals have to be allowed certain things. once a decent standard of living is maintained then it would probably be more possible to initiate effective education campaigns. i dont see palestinian kids who have seen their grandparents and parents die or be oppressed turning over a new leaf through education unless things significantly change on the ground. its all very complicated and i dont think i have a clear picture of the conflict. i really dont. but it just seems like things suck so bad for palestinians. on so many different levels. i keep asking myself how i would handle it if i were them. i really do think that a solution will only come through outside intervention because as long as an occupying power can oppress a group for their benefit, they will. all this is not to say educational campaigns arent a good thing, they are. in fact, the group im here with does a whole lot of that, it just appears that much effort leads to little progress because it doesnt seem to matter what palestinians do.

    ReplyDelete