Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tiflee

Coming here I expected to learn things I didn’t know before, things about the conflict, about the Arabic language, etc. However, I thought I had a decent understanding. My ignorance of the issues here has definitely been exposed. I believe lots of things I’ve learned have come from a personal encounter, whether it is with my host family or listening to individuals who offer a fresh perspective I hadn’t considered before. I had one of those experiences last weekend in the Jenin refugee camp. Jenin is well known for being a stronghold for the Palestinian resistance during the second intifada. The group talked to a young guy close to my age about his experience with the conflict. His grandfather was forced out of his home in Haifa in 1948 when Israel declared its independence. When leaving his house, the Israelis killed the grandfather and his family went to the refugee camp without him. Refugee camps are meant to be temporary and the idea of living in such a place for over 60 yrs wouldn’t be something you would wish for anyone. He told stories of the Israeli invasion in the refugee camp where young children spent up to 10 days in the same room with their dead parent. 65 people died during this invasion with less than 10 actually being combatants, meaning that over 50 civilians died in this raid. One can speak of stats, like the reality of over 4 million Palestinian refugees existing as a result of the establishment of the state of Israel, but personal encounters are much more powerful. Hearing this guy talk about his experience of the invasion in front of the mass burial ground was powerful, especially considering burying the bodies together was the only option because only pieces existed. I experience personal testimonies like this on a daily basis (perhaps not quite as extreme). I know that I am only getting a taste of what life is really like in the two months that I’ll be staying here and cannot claim to have a grasp of reality. My knowledge and understanding has developed and will continue to do so. Therefore, I try to ask questions and to avoid thinking my perspective is exactly on point.

A similar theme can be found in many situations in my life. I remember when I was positive that anything the Israelis did had to be unequivocally supported because after all, they are God’s chosen people and have a right to the land that was given to them in the Old Testament. In fact, I couldn’t see anything other option as to how to understand the OT and God’s promises to Israel. I definitely thought the modern state of Israel was the realization of these promises and demonized anyone that could stand in the way. I saw Palestinians as Muslim terrorists who wanted to kill the Jews merely because of their identity as Jews. My perspective has developed since then but I continue to try to stay away from being dogmatic, instead attempting to discourse with humility. Of course, I fall well short of this ideal many times but it continues to be my goal. As I began to learn about the conflict, some questions began arising in my mind. Questions like…If God is love and Jesus came to die for the sins of the entire world, then how does it make sense that God wants the Jews to treat the Palestinians as they are? What if Palestinians are Christians, are the Jews still allowed to do whatever it takes to realize the promises? In God’s eyes, do the ends justify the means in this or any case? I realize that these aren’t extremely theological questions but they were the thoughts that started me on my path to see if there was another viable option. I am struggling with how to approach this belief, instead of laying out what I feel like the correct belief is, I think I’d rather raise questions so as to not be dogmatic in my position. So, is there another viable option? Is it possible that our understanding of the OT with regards to this land and the Jews is a little skewed? Does Jesus force us to reinterpret some of those prophecies? Even if the Jews do have a right to this land, are we really supposed to support them unequivocally, despite the methods they use to accomplish this end? Shouldn’t we stand for justice and against injustice, to fight for the oppressed?

On a completely different note, I am really enjoying my time here. I have started to play basketball in Jerusalem with a group of internationals, Palestinians and Israelis and it has been so enjoyable. My host niece (she calls me uncle) is starting to say my name in her sleep according to my host mom. I am in a groove now and feel comfortable with my surroundings. I continue to meet amazing people that inspire me to do something meaningful with my life. 

1 comment:

  1. What you said about the Jews "realizing the promise" was interesting to me. It made me think, is it really that much a solid fact that a modern Israeli state is a realization of God's covenant with Israel? My immediate reaction is that no, I don't think it is. I feel like in the Christian community has encouraged/lifted it up for two reasons: The Israelis deserve it because of the Holocaust, and because the Bible prophesies that before Christ returns, Israel will occupy the Promised Land (or something, I think). From what I vaguely remember from OT class, God's covenant with Israel is an arch-story of the Biblical narrative, not culminating in the occupation of a land, but in the redemption of an undeserving, imperfect people (Israel/followers of Jesus). Not that this is anything profound, it's just what I thought when I read that.

    I just googled "Israel promised land prophecy modern state" and I found this: http://www.cc-vw.org/articles/debate.html, which after skimming it looks good/informative, even though it's a little dated. I'm going to read it tonight, you should read it if you have time, it looks like it's really relevant to what you are asking questions about.

    ReplyDelete